03 September, 2008

Accidents happen...

but geez, I wish they'd leave poor Chickie's teeth alone!

When he was little and just learning to walk, he lost his balance a little and banged his chin on a chair. We think this was the cause of one of his baby teeth turning grey. The dentist said he might lose it if the tooth had been too traumatised, but we were lucky and it went back to mainly whitish and it stuck around. This was one of the two big top front teeth.

Later just before losing his other big tooth at the front, he managed to chip it. Not badly and we weren't too concerned as it was loose anyway.

Now, he has his two top front adult teeth and yesterday managed to chip one. I feel terrible about it as I couldn't catch him in time to stop it.

I took him to the small playground a block from our house and he started playing on the flying fox there. He loved that thing, so it was always the first thing he'd head for. This time was no different. Unfortunately on one go he fell or let go and went head first into the metal step on one end. There was a little bit of blood as he'd also hit his lip and there it was - the adult tooth chipped.

I've been mentally beating myself up about it because I just wasn't able to catch him in time. Hopefully the dentist will be able to cap it or something so I can assuage myself of this awful guilt!

8 comments:

The Phosgene Kid said...

Well now you won't feel so bad when he starts playing hockey.

Zazzy said...

Depending on how badly it's chipped, it may just wear down naturally. I can't even see where I chipped my front tooth anymore. And get that boy some lessons in balance!

Hugs! Accidents do happen.

Stomper Girl said...

It's not your fault, you're not Elastigirl. Hope the dentist can help.

Anonymous said...

I busted my front tooth when I was 15 and the dentist put on a temporary cap and gave me 5 years. It lasted 25 and the replacement crown has been there 20 years.

Anonymous said...

These things happen - even under the very best of supervision.

velcro said...

I chipped one of my front teeth when I was a kid by swimming straight into the side of the pool. You couldnt tell which one it was by looking, so hopefully Chickie's will wear down too.

Melinda said...

The dentist will be able to offer you a variety of fix-it options. At least he has a war story to tell now!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, teeth are easily fixed. Dentists are amazing. Does not appease the guilt, I know...

Great to see you posting again :)