13 November, 2006

You know there's going to be a wait...

... when you visit the doctor's surgery and the only free seat is next to a man who has fallen asleep and is slightly snoring!

I went to have my usual quarterly blood tests (to get an average of my blood glucose levels for the last three months), as well as my yearly cholesterol etc etc. Good thing I don't have a problem with needles or having blood taken.

I also had a heart tracing done. Never had one of those done before and it was kinda strange. I had to hop up on the bed and the doc put that sticky gel stuff on my arms, legs and chest. I had these sensors strapped onto my arms and legs and then the little suction cup thingies on my chest. All was normal, as expected. Basically my doc wanted a 'baseline' so that if there were problems in the future (apparently that can be common in diabetics), we'd know what was normal.

Because I had to fast for the cholesterol blood test, I did something naughty afterwards and had Macca's breakfast. A bacon and egg mcmuffin and a hash brown. Mmm... it's really the only McDonald's I actually like, except for their roast chicken salad, but that's now gone from their menus (dammit! All their other salads have cabbage in them - blech!). I have to admit I love their hotcakes and syrup too, but I thought that might be pushing things a bit far.

This is probably the second time I've had Macca's breakfast in over a year, the muffin isn't going to be good for my blood glucose levels - bread seems to be something that spikes my levels, whereas potatoes (ie: the hash brown) don't seem to be too much of a problem. It's also not good for my weight, since I'm trying very hard to lose it! 4 kilos to go, until I reach the recommended BMI score.

4 comments:

Steve said...

That reminds me of one of my aviation medicals a few years ago.

I'm not sure if I've blogged about it before, but I had to give a urine sample. This involved going downstairs, putting something in a small jar and bringing it back to the reception desk.

Now I don't have a problem with carrying a jar of my own piss around, but I'm sure other people don't want to see it. So, when I came back into the crowded waiting room I had the jar discretely cupped in my hand.

The moment I walked back into the room a young boy, about 5 or 6, pointed at the jar and said, "What's that Mummy?" loud enough for everyone to hear.

Unknown said...

I hope that everything went well! The only thing I can eat from McDonalds is the Bacon Egg N Cheese Biscuit with Mayo and their chicken selects. Everything else tastes like dirt...unless I'm craving it.

Anonymous said...

I hope the tests all yield good results!

BTW, I appreciate your sympathetic comment on my blog.

caramaena said...

steve - lol, I hate taking that sample in personally. I'm always worried the jar's not leak proof.

charm school reject and surcie - thanks. I get the results tomorrow. Hopefully all will be fine :)