15 September, 2006

I missed an anniversary

It's been just over a year since I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. I got the official diagnosis from the doc on the 7th of September, but I really knew on the 26th of August.

I had gestational diabetes when I had Chickie (2002). I was on the diet for two weeks and, after that, insulin until I gave birth. I have to admit I was pretty freaked out by the whole thing. I managed to prick my fingers ok for the many blood glucose level tests, but the insulin was a whole 'nother ball game. I had to get J to do it for the first um... several times. It probably didn't help that I was told to do the injections in my stomach (lower sides) and there was that whole pregnant belly to account for.

My levels, while pregnant, were all over the place. I had the occasional low (around 3, or 54 for those in the U.S.) and the more common high (10, or 180) - I was aiming for no higher than 7.7 two hours after meals. Generally the levels just kept rising, as did the insulin dose. I was told my levels should return to normal shortly after the birth but they took their time to come down. People were starting to make noises about me having more than just gestational diabetes. The levels did come down though, thank goodness.

I had to have regular tests afterwards to ensure my levels were normal - and yes they were, until the test on the 26th of August. At that test my bgl was so high that they wouldn't do the test. I went to the doctor and she did another test - the HbA1c. For that one the doc said the cutoff for a diagnosis of diabetes was 7 - which was exactly where I was. I found that out on the 7th of September 2005.

So, I missed my 'anniversary'. Not that it's something I want to celebrate anyway. The only thing to celebrate about this part of my life for the last year is that I've lost 12 kgs (26 pounds). People tell me I'm fading away (ha!). I'll need to lose another 6 kgs (13 pounds) before I'm within my ideal weight for height (I'm just slightly too short, you see ;) hehe).

On the whole that side of my life, this last year, has been quite confusing. What with figuring out what and when I should eat, what foods affect my blood glucose levels and trying to like exercising every day. Hmm... I don't really have any of those down pat yet.

At least my HbA1c levels are ok - last one was 5.8 - so I guess I must be doing something right.

No comments: