21 July, 2006

test results are back

The x-rays are back and the very good news is no sign of any degenerative conditions in my knees.

Phew! I have to admit to being a bit worried when the discomfort and swelling didn't seem to want to go away (not to mention when the first doctor was throwing around terms like arthritis and psoriatic arthropathy - eeek!). At least it's getting better - just a little too slooooowly for my liking.

The report does say "There is minor irregularity of the patellar articular surface superiorly on the left. " but the doc says this is nothing to be concerned about. She believes it was just some inflammation that's now on it's way out. That's what I like to hear!

My Hb1Ac (or is it HbA1c??? I always get confused) results are back too. This is the test that averages your blood sugar levels over the past three months. Mine came back at 5.8 which is good. It's a little higher than last time but I thought it might be the case since my knee has stopped me from exercising as much as I had in the past. I was half expecting it to be over 6.0.

My results started off at 7.0 when I was diagnosed (apparently 7.0 is the cut off for diagnosis of diabetes type 2), then I had 5.9, 5.6 and now 5.8. I'm told these are really good levels.

I have to admit though, I don't think I'm doing that great with my diabetes. I'm still learning what foods send my blood glucose levels high. Sometimes it's really confusing because, at times, I'll eat the exact same thing and get really different results - one day may be quite high and others fine. I feel like I'm often bouncing between highs and lows, and to get the result like this 5.8, I wonder if there are many times that I'm going really low that I'm just not aware of (I try to test if I feel odd). I see a dietician next week so perhaps she can give me some help in figuring things out.

Gah! Will someone just discover a cure for diabetes already!!!

No comments: